The Lothians, Home of J. Pettie

Title

The Lothians, Home of J. Pettie

Date Created

1881

Creator

William Flockhart (1852–1913), architect, for Messrs. Wallace & Flockart, Architects (c. 1880–1883)
Messrs. Downsing and Son of Notting Hill, builders

Description

"The walling is of red Suffolk brick, with beer-stone dressings, the roof being covered with Whitland, Abbey slates. The staircase is of wainscot, and the chief feature in the hall and vestibule is the mosaic flooring. The studio is arranged so as to be distinct from the house, and has a clear floor space of 50 ft. by 30 ft., being one of the largest private studios in London. . . . A free Classic style of architecture was chosen for the building, which works out well in execution, with dignity." Maurice B. Adams, Artists' Houses (London: B. T. Batsford, 1883), No. XVI, "Mr. John Petties' [sic] House and Studio," p. 9.

Relation

Illustrations: "Mr. John Pettie's Home and Studio, Hampstead," from Maurice B. Adams, Artists' Homes (London: B. T. Batsford, 1883), No. XVI.

Contributor

Omeka record contributed by Linda Merrill

Date Submitted

December 7, 2016

Address

2 Fitzjohn's Avenue (at the lower end of Fitzjohn's Avenue, at the corner of Belsize Lane, near the Swiss Cottage)

London borough

Hampstead

Town/county

London

Current address

2 Fitzjohn's Avenue, Hampstead NW3 (probably not extant)

Files

Collection

Reference

William Flockhart (1852–1913), architect, for Messrs. Wallace & Flockart, Architects (c. 1880–1883), The Lothians, Home of J. Pettie

Cite As

William Flockhart (1852–1913), architect, for Messrs. Wallace & Flockart, Architects (c. 1880–1883) and Messrs. Downsing and Son of Notting Hill, builders, “The Lothians, Home of J. Pettie,” Victorian Artists at Home, accessed May 26, 2024, https://artistsathome.emorydomains.org/items/show/323.

Item Relations

This Item dcterms:relation Item: J. PETTIE, R.A.
This Item dcterms:relation Item: JOHN PETTIE, R.A.